Saturday, December 26, 2009

I guess it's high time I made a post, huh? Sorry I haven't been as posty as Kirsten, I never know what to talk about! By now you've heard the news--Kirsten and Chris are going to be parents--again! It's an exciting time, and with Christmas just passed, there was no better time to have such happy news!

The time between the transfer and the pregnancy blood test is often called the two week wait. It's called that just because it's about two weeks (give or take) that you have to wait before finding out if the transfer was successful. The two week wait (2ww) is SO torturous! It really isn't a long time, but when you are doing home pregnancy tests, it seems like forever before you see a positive, if you are lucky enough to get one.

On our failed cycle in August, I got a TON of evaporation lines on my home pregnancy tests. Evaporation lines are just faint, gray lines that can trick you into thinking they are super early positives. A few times I even got blue lines that looked like true positives. It was terrible! So this time I got a bunch of really cheap internet tests to use so I could test often and early. Don't laugh, but I started testing the day of transfer! I knew they wouldn't be positive yet, but if my tests happened to be prone to evaporation lines, I'd know because I'd have true negative tests from those first days to compare later home tests to. Fortunately, those tests didn't have evaporation lines after all.

I started seeing faint, faint positives 9 days after the egg retrieval, or 4 days after the transfer. They were so faint that Kirsten really thought they weren't true positives. Little did we know that in just a day's time there would be no question about it--a baby or two is on the way!

So, how am I feeling? First, I'm in shock! I'm relieved, I'm happy for K and C, I'm glad the transfer worked, of course, too. I'm looking forward to the first ultrasound when we find out how many and can see the heartbeat(s) for the first time. I remember it being an amazing feeling in my previous journey when my IP's saw the heartbeats for the first time. It makes it so much more real to see a baby moving around in there. I know it will be a great moment when K and C get to see this baby for the first time too.

This may seem strange to say, but I'm so grateful for my ability to conceive and carry children. I really cannot fathom what K and C and other couples like them have to go through in order to enjoy such a common part of humanity. My heart just breaks when I think about it, and I'm SO glad and thankful that I can be a part of growing K and C's family and filling their hearts and home with a new baby to love.

1 comment:

N said...

yay for a post! :) I love your comment about being grateful you can conceive and carry. It really is something so many take for granted, but an amazing gift. You are one of the very, very few who share that blessed gift with others who don't have it.

keep up the posting!