Monday, January 18, 2010

One Good Thing

I was really kind of hoping it'd be twins, since we put in two embryos. I'll just be honest and say that even after the first ultrasound I wasn't fully convinced we wouldn't find a second baby at the next ultrasound. But it appears that after all it was meant to be one.

One good thing about that is that I may have a chance at a regular delivery. My OB pretty much does automatic C-sections with twins unless both twins are head down, so I really didn't stand a chance of a normal delivery when I was pregnant with my surro-twins. They were changing positions right up until delivery! And because a C-section is a major surgery, only one person can be in the operating room. All through the pregnancy on my first journey I had this image in my head of getting to see the parents when they first saw their babies, and because of the C-section, that moment never really happened. The mom was in the room with me, but I was REALLY anxious about the C-section and really couldn't pay any attention to her. She brought one twin over to me at one point, but I don't think I could even turn my head, I was just focusing on not flipping out about being cut open! The other twin was wisked off to the NICU (fluid in her lungs due to the C-section), and then the mom and twin A both left as well. Ironically, my husband was in the recovery room, and HE got to witness the joyful moment where the baby and his parents met for the first time! I wasn't wheeled in until much later, and even then I remember being very dizzy and disoriented from the medications from the C-section.

So, in a way, one baby is a good thing. It means a more normal pregnancy (hopefully), and a natural birth (hopefully). I pretty much had panic attacks for weeks after the C-section; I was totally unprepared for how traumatizing it was, so I'd love to avoid that this time if at all possible. It'll be a little over 18 months between births, so hopefully that is plenty to try for a regular birth. I had my second child without pain medications and would LOVE to go that route with this pregnancy. I'd be so honored to get to see that first moment when K, C, their little ones, and this baby meet each other for the first time.

1 comment:

N said...

You know, I never thought about the irony of R experiencing a part of the post-delivery that you didn't.:) I can totally see how it would be a better surro-experience to have a natural delivery with everyone in the room. Good luck with the u/s today, and post when you get back! Hey, K, can you post a bigger version of the u/s pic in the main body of the blog? I want to see the little bean better! :)