Monday, May 31, 2010

Just around the corner

The third trimester official starts in two days, it's hard to believe we've come this far. Jenn is looking very pregnant and I believe this is the time that getting bigger and being pregnant starts to become a little (if not a lot!) uncomfortable. I hope that things continue to go smoothly and Jenn stays feeling good. I'm sure there are difficult times that she doesn't tell me about but for the most part I think baby Evan is being pretty good to her.

We have an appointment in two days where we will have the opportunity to discuss the option of a natural birth after a previous C-section. I know that Jenn is not too hopeful that the doctor will be positive about going for a natural birth, but I hope that we will find that we have someone in our corner. As the birth gets closer, I know that Jenn will become more nervous as a scheduled C-section approaches and that's not what any of us want. I think knowing now what Jenn went through with the birth of the twins she carried, and finding out that the time frame between these two births leads most doctors to request another c section, we would have either waited a little longer before transfer or not have gone ahead at all. I can't imagine going ahead with the real chance of creating such pain and distress for such a good friend. Anyways, let's just hope it doesn't come to that, fingers crossed!!

Jenn and I frequent a forum of surrogates and intended parents and in the group who transferred the same month as us (December 2009) the first of the surrogates gave birth this week. She was approximately 25 weeks along with boy / girl twins. It's a frightening thought, both for the surrogate and those twins AND the very real thought that it could happen to Jenn anytime too. Of course it's rare and much more high risk when it comes to twins, and there is no reason to believe that will happen with baby Evan, but it's still in the back of my mind. It leads me to ponder whether we are really ready for our little man, physically or emotionally, and if nothing else this recent birth has pushed me forward emotionally to be ready at any time! Fortunately physically we have a nursery set up already and anything else we don't have can't be that hard to come by.

In good news the surrogate and babies are all doing really well and fighting hard. They are on my mind constantly and give me even more reason to count our blessings at how lucky we are for the future that Jenn is holding in her hands.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I am keeping my fingers crossed that a VBAC is possible. Can't believe you guys are in the third tri. I am so excited to meet baby Evan. Lots of love.