Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Upcoming Appt.

As Kirsten pointed out in her last entry, we have our second opinion appointment tomorrow, at which time I am hoping the doctor will say that I would make a good candidate for a vbac. I wanted to address what Kirsten said about how if they had known I would have to face a C-section they would have waited longer or not done it at all.

I don't agree with that at all! I went into this surrogacy knowing that a C-section is a good possibility. And in fact, I went into my first surrogacy knowing that since we were transferring two embryos a C-section was likely if twins were to result. On top of that, I knew that if I wanted more kids after I had the C-section, I would face the possibility of a C-section then too. So, the fact that I am facing that possibility now, is really of no consequence. It's always a possibility no matter the situation.

The reason why it shocked me a little when our ob said she would recommend one for me was because 1) my old ob said I was a great candidate for a vbac, as long as I waited 18 months (this pregnancy would land me at 20/21 months), and 2) it was a singleton, and the possibility of a C-section seems to me to be lower with one baby, rather than two.

I won't lie; my C-section experience was horrible in more ways than one. BUT, in the process, I brought two little kiddos into the world and helped my friends start a family. That makes it worth it. And the same goes for this surrogacy; a C-section is worth it to bring Evan into the world and see the joy he will bring to Kirsten and her family. Assuming a C-section is the safest thing to do, then it's worth it to me. So to say that we never should have transferred or should have waited longer, makes no sense to me. The timing was right for all concerned, at least that's what I think! :)

2 comments:

N said...

fingers crossed for the appt! Post an update when you guys get back!

Erin said...

Jennifer I think you are amazing!!