Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Breastfeeding at 6 weeks

So here we are at 6 weeks and little Evan is still being fed just breast milk. I'm surprised we made it this far, there have been many times I've felt it's time to give in and supplement with some formula, but in the nick of time Jenn has whipped us up another huge stash of breast milk and saved the day!!

So as far as breastfeeding goes, I'm still doing it!! It's not as often as I'd like, it's hard to find the time to sit down with him for as long as he needs and commit just to him when there are two other little people looking for attention. I am nursing him at least every morning and every evening and whatever I can in between. I am still pumping as often as I can and keeping up the little supply I have obtained!! I love being able to nurse, even if it's just for when the little man is screaming up a storm and nothing calms him, a little bit of mummy milk brings him back to sanity and usually slumber!!!

I plan to continue to pump as long as I am able if only to maintain a supply for comfort moments alone. I am feeling much more relaxed now though that he will at some point take formula and it won't poison him (as Jenn quite sensibly pointed out to me during one of my moments of madness!!).

Chris and I were very lucky the other night to have my Mum take Evan into her room with her for an all night session!!! We got to sleep through the whole night (other than my getting up to pump) without having to worry about little Evan's needs, it was pure heaven, thanks Mum!!!

3 comments:

Donnadman said...

You are amazing and are doing an amazing job with your son! I am so proud of you - oh those precious moments when your baby just needs YOU! See you soon! Love you all! ~D

Unknown said...

You are doing great! 6 weeks is an awesome milestone...I always tell new moms who want to try BF to give it 6 weeks and then decide. Good job!

Erin said...

I think you are amazing! Good job Mama. Breastfeeding is so not easy. I almost quit 1000 times in those first few weeks. I hated it, then one day it all just seemed to click and I would not trade those quiet moments with my son for anything in the world. It makes my heart so happy to know that you get to experience those moments with your gorgeous son!