Friday, February 5, 2010

Today's Appt.

So today's appointment went alright. Everything is fine with the little one. We had an ultrasound and "he" was moving all around and we saw the heartbeat. The doctor was not able to get a measurement, but everything looked normal. I have pictures for Kirsten, but I don't have a scanner, so I am not sure when I can get them on the blog!

The doctor I saw was really nice. She has a wonderful bedside manner, very friendly, and she seemed fine with the surrogacy aspect and with K and C coming to appointments and what not.

She is also good friends with my old ob, and I found out that the reason my old ob is not available and anymore is because she is doing all hospital work now, and no clinic work. So we may actually see her on delivery day! She was the one who did my first cesarean, so if I have to go that route, it'd be great to have her again. I'm happy for her; I remember her saying that she loved the hospital side of things, and now she gets to do that full time!

The only downer was when I asked her about whether I could have a vaginal birth since the last pregnancy was a cesarean. She says that she would not recommend it because it hasn't been quite two years in between deliveries. She said that, yes, I could try it, but she would not recommend that route. I asked her if this was her personal feelings, or something that all the doctors in her practice sort of went by. She said it was her personal feeling. I asked her if I could get a second opinion, and of course she said that was fine, but this was really disappointing news for me. I actually had tears stinging my eyes when she said that, because I hated the c-section so much. I've contacted another doctor in the practice to see what his take was on things, so I will see what he says. I just have this feeling that I'll have to have another c-section, which basically means if I ever get pregnant again (not that I plan to) it will be a cesarean birth because they would not agree to a vaginal birth after two cesareans no matter how much time passes between deliveries. This news was very sobering for me.

The ob appointments are so much more lengthy than the ones with the fertility doctor. The ob office is just not that efficient, I guess. My appointment was at 9:30 am, and I didn't drive off the lot until almost 11. All in all, it was a successful appointment. :)

2 comments:

N said...

I think it's a good idea to get a second opinion, just in case there are widely varying views. It would be interesting to do a little google research to see if that is sort of a standard benchmark (how much time since last c-section). That might help too. I know how hard the c-section was for you and that this must be really disappointing. If you feel strongly about having a vbac, I would find the right doctor who supports it.

Kirsten, Chris, Jacob, Sarah & Evan said...

Hurrah for a good apt! I agree we should get another opinion on the birth too.