Sunday, March 14, 2010

Adoptive Breastfeeding

A friend asked me in the early days of our surrogacy journey if I planned on breastfeeding our baby? I admit it had never crossed my mind. Firstly I never actually believed a baby would be the result of the journey and secondly I never knew it was possible to breastfeed without the pregnancy that went with it!

I put the idea on the back burner for a while and pushed it out of my mind, that was until we found out Jenn was pregnant and it was one little bean. I started thinking about adoptive breastfeeding again and did some online research. I found it hard to find much information and even consulted my family doctor who told me she knew nothing about it and couldn't help me.

This weekend an online friend gave me a link to this amazing website which provides everything you could possibly need to know about adoptive breastfeeding and the protocols for inducing lactation and maximizing milk production. The best protocol to follow requires starting the process five to six months before the baby is due so I just have enough time to get on it!!

It's not an exact science and it might not work, but fingers crossed for a good outcome, I'm excited to at least try!

Here is the website;

http://www.asklenore.info/breastfeeding/abindex.shtml

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How exciting! I do have some of the supplies you can borrow, if you want to (tubing, bottles and such).

N said...

wow! I'm super surprised but impressed that you are going to induce lactation! I know an online blogger who induced lactation and is feeding twins right now. She would be a great resource - if you want her email let me know.

Nicki BL said...

I really hope it works for you!

Donnadman said...

I hope it works for you too and have the supplies. I got them from a friend who nursed her daughter from Russia - she adopted back when the babies came home a lot younger than ours. I also have the book that i once told you about. Go for it - we are here to support you! I so wish I could have nursed Daniel! Love you, and miss you! ~D

Erin said...

I am so excited for you, I loved Breastfeeding... You are amazing...