Thursday, August 6, 2009

The urge never goes away!

So, apparently I've discovered the urge to POAS (pee on a stick) never goes away*

The shot we did yesterday consisted of HCG. This is the hormone produced by the body when an embryo implants and starts to grow. It is the hormone that produces a hpt that looks like this;



instead of one the one we usually see which looks like this;



The HCG shot is used during an IVF cycle as HCG allows control over when ovulation will take place – and this is 36 – 39 hours after the HCG injection. This precise control allows the IVF team to be prepared to harvest eggs just before that time. The HCG simulates the woman's natural LH surge, which normally triggers ovulation.

So that would be the medical reason for the shot. However, for the hpt addicts out there is gives us the unusual opportunity of POAS and immediately getting a "pregnant!" result, something vary rarely (if ever) seen around these parts!

When I told Chris this morning I really wished I had some hpt's in the house, he gave me the *you are crazy lady* look and pointed out that I can't be pregnant.

I really didn't see his point.... "what an earth has that got to do with anything, it's a chance to see a positive hpt, what better reason is there?"

Suffice to say, since I didn't have any tests in the house the dream of seeing a positive hpt will remain just that, a dream.


* Just in case we need claification on why someone would want to pee on a stick...POAS = home pregnancy test (hpt)!

No comments: