Friday, August 6, 2010

4 weeks and 5 ounces!

It's taken me 4 weeks of pumping to finally hit 5 ounces in one day! I wish it was more, but at least there is an upward trend going on! I can totally see now why they advise you to start pumping at least 6 weeks before the baby is due, it's hard work for little reward!

I read that after pumping for a while all of a sudden a huge amount of milk will come in, but it looks like that's not going to happen for me, I might just be at my maximum.

It's all a little disheartening when I read that women who give birth generally pump between 35 and 120 ounces a day, my 5 sounds pretty pathetic, but there you go, I'm trying and I figure ANYTHING I can give baby Evan is better than nothing. It looks like we'll have no choice but to supplement with formula (ALOT of formula!) but at least it means Chris, my Mum and the little people will all have an opportunity to feed Evan and I think that will be good for everyone.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Holding baby Evan in your arms *might* just trigger what you need to start producing more. Don't give up, you are doing a beautiful thing no matter if it is 5ozs or 50ozs!!!

Unknown said...

I had to laugh when I saw that you read people pump 35 to 100 oz?! lol. I never pumped more than like 28, and that was pumping 10 times a day, 25 minutes at a time, and having given birth to twins! When you consider that, I think you are doing great!

erin said...

i believe it will increase SUBSTANTIALLY when you get that tot on the teat girl...

even when you give birth it doesn't just turn on the faucet...it takes the kid suckling to create the milk factory...

i find 35-120 oz a day outRAGEOUS...now, i didn't pump all day, but i find it hard to believe even at my max that i was producing anywhere near 120oz!

and you are so right...5 oz a day is better than no oz a day!...kudos!

N said...

I doubt you are maxed out! Keep up the great work with it...no matter how much it ends up being you are doing something wonderful for Evan!

April said...

No way could I pump anywhere near 50 ounces a day, and I'm a milk factory. That figure has to be at least a little inflated. Keep in mind, also, that some women don't respond well to a pump, but do much better when the babe latches.

Cheers to you for putting in the hard work! What a special gift to Evan!

Erin said...

I could never get more than a few ounces each time I pumped. But when breastfeeding he got all he needed. The pump and I had issues. Once he is here I bet you guys settle into a routine and you will be making tons of milk. I am so proud of you. You are amazing. Lots of love, can't wait to meet him.