Sunday, August 22, 2010

I gave in

So far I have given in to giving Evan 3 bottles of breast milk. I am worried he is not getting enough otherwise. I am still trying to breastfeed and I am still pumping, but when he just won't latch on I've given him bottles, well Chris has so he doesn't associate me with bottles!

I hope I am doing the right thing, I didn't want to go this route, but I don't want to starve him either. We are going back to the doctors on Wednesday so we will have to see if he is gaining weight or not. I haven't yet had to break down and give him formula, but when my back up supply runs out that might be a decision I can't ignore.

I am a little sad and defeated :(

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't worry too much--I gave O bottles from day 4 and she breastfed successfully for a year. Just keep trying to breastfeed him more than you bottlefeed, don't give up yet. I always tell people to try BFing until 6 weeks and then decide whether to give up or not. Also, I have 40 or so ounces saved so far, so whenever you can come get it, feel free. I am getting about 1.5 to 2 ounces a session right now.

Kirsten, Chris, Jacob, Sarah & Evan said...

Thanks Jenn, I will try and be patient and have faith it will work! Thanks for the additional supply, it's just what we need!

erin said...

hey you could try giving him syringes of the breastmilk instead of bottles...that's what we did cause we had a hellacious first week!...

then you don't have to use bottles and he won't get used to them

Kirsten, Chris, Jacob, Sarah & Evan said...

Erin ~ we have used the syringe and I also use a supplementary nursing system, but now he needs more and if he's too tired to latch on it makes things that much harder. Thanks for the idea though!

N said...

I'm sorry you are feeling defeated. You have done such an awesome job preparing for this and now doing it, and there is no defeat at all! Even if the supply never increases to what you want, ever drop you have given him is worth it. Who cares if you supplement with formula or with bottles? You are giving him the best you can!